January 7, 2008

Happy, Get Well, New Year, 2008!

I am a week late getting this post up, but I have an excuse. I've been sick. I spent the last week in my pajamas, coughing, and achy with a cold or flu. I can't tell the difference. Saturday before the year ended, I started to have an itchy, sore throat. Friday night Kim and I went to a wedding rehearsal dinner and I could tell I was coming down with something. My throat was really beginning to hurt. Saturday I tried to take it easy at home and that evening we went to the wedding where we sang. The weather had turned chilly and windy, plus being out in that damp air didn't help. By Sunday my voice was gone and I could only speak a whisper. I'm sure my husband loved that, but I wasn't really feeling all that bad. So, I kept with my schedule of activities. By Monday morning, I was coughing, chilled, my head felt full. I was sick. But we were going out that evening to celebrate New Year's Eve. We had reservations at a local community theater with friends and this was going to be a lot of fun. I wasn't going to stay home on New Year's Eve. So, I took Tylenol, Tussin DM and drank hot tea with lemon and pretty much thought I could ring in the New Year relatively well.

By now the weather had gotten colder and windier. I wore my new black sweater and wrap to the party. I needed a heavier coat, but we were inside most of the time. After the show ended, our friends and us decided to catch up at another party in town at some friend's house before midnight. So, we left that party, got out in the cold again, and went to our friend's house. I had a real good time visiting with them. We went outside to burn sparklers and fireworks in their backyard and by now the wind was really kicking up. Back inside we counted down to the New Year. After a cheer, a kiss from Kim and a glass of cheery champagne, I was spent. We got home and in bed by 2:00 p.m. where I collapsed.

Here it is January 6, a week later, and I still have a slight cough that worsens in the evenings, I'm sluggish, my throat still hurts a little and sleeping is still a chore. My watery eyes and nasal drainage have lessen, but I have no energy. I should have gone to the doctor 5 days ago, but I kept thinking I was going to be well. I only ran a low fever for 2 or 3 evenings, so I thought when the fever quit I was out of the woods. Now I wish I'd gone. However, I think there's probably no point this late. I mean, do I really want to pay the co-pay for an office visit, paying for expensive medicine that at this point, won't do much for me? I might as well ride it out. Right?

The problem here is that I have some work coming up. I'm going to start testing for the school district pretty soon. I pick up my tests tomorrow and I'm sure my schedule will begin within days after receiving my materials. I need to be well. Schools frown on people who cough and blow their nose a lot, working with their children. Anyway, I have got to get rid of this crud. Any suggestions? I'm open to your opinions.

Oh... and Happy New Year. :-/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago when I was pregnant, my doctor told me ... 10 days for a cold ... no matter what you do, 10 days for a cold.

So ... you only have a few days left ;)

We're glad you came by the house last week ... it was great sharing the new year with friends.

Anonymous said...

10 days for a cold. If it's a sinus infection, you need antibiotics. If it has gone down into your chest, you do need to go to a doctor.

Yes, it is frustrating to go to the doctor only to be told it's a cold and there's nothing they can do. However, if it's something more, only the doctor can tell.

Miami Chick

Powered By Blogger