December 10, 2005

Elton L. "Jiggs" Ritchey

Yesterday was December 9 and if my dad were still alive, he would have been 83 years old. I often wonder why my dad didn't live any longer than he did. He would love watching his great grandchildren. He would have such pride in his 3 grandsons and their wives. He was a good man, a loving father and faithful husband to my mother. He was extremely committed to the little church in Port Neches which now does not even exist anymore. He would leave in the middle of the night to go help a widow that was in need. He never tired of work or doing for others.

Well, Daddy, I just want you to know I thought about your birthday as usual. I miss you and wish you were here to celebrate Christmas with us. I still see you laughing at the boys funny antics. You would enjoy watching your two great grandchildren in the same way. They are so cute.

You were always my best cheerleader. You helped me to read, tie my shoelaces and even how to drive a nail into a board. You played in the backyard with me and played guitars and sang with me. You even took me driving when I was 15 years old and Mama was too afraid to do ride with me.

You got tears in your eyes the evening I went on my first date and you cried the night I got married. My favorite wedding photo is of you and mom kissing my cheeks, one on each side.

When your mind began to go, you told me with the same zeal in your voice, about a news article where scientist had found a dinosaur bone...3 times. You walked beside me after Mom's funeral, put your arm around my shoulders and told me that you loved me like a real daughter. Who knows who you thought I was.

I like to see you in my mind the way you are in a photograph taken at my house the first Christmas without mom. You are laughing as Cynthia jokingly put a red Christmas bow on your head. You always loved a good laugh and when you and Cynthia teamed up, you were both hilarious. I hope you and Cynthia are enjoying each other in Heaven.

Keep laughing Daddy. I love you.
Your daughter,
Mary Lou

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice tribute, ML. I'm sure your dad is proud of you, and your whole family.

Nellie said...

I can relate so strongly to your post. My daddy's birthday was December 17th. Were he still alive he would be 84 a week from today. We were so blessed, ML, to have such special men to be the first to claim our hearts. Missing them never goes away. Love you!

Jason said...

After he died, I hadn't thought a lot about Papa until Aidan was born. From the first time I saw Aidan, I thought he looked like Papa. As he's gotten older, little things Aidan does make me think of him. I'm not sure if I subconsciously remember traits and mannerisms that I now see in Aidan or if I'm imagining it, but Aidan is very similar to how I think Papa may have been as a 2.5-year-old. I even think his sense of humor may be similar.

This may sound wierd, but in the last couple of years, I feel like I've grown closer to Papa by proxy through Aidan. Isn't it wierd how postumous relationships work?

Kim said...

I remember "Papa" coming over to help me remodel or do some work around the house. He was probably the hardest working man I ever knew. I couldn't keep up with him, and in some ways I wondered if I could ever be the kind of husband that Mary Lou expected if I couldn't be more like him. But she made it clear that I didn't need to be exactly like him. He was a unique man in his own way, full of love and dedication to God, his wife, and family (especially his daughter). I was blessed to be part of his family.

Mary Lou said...

I'm so happy that my family remembers my dad, "Papa" with fond memories. He was a very special man.

Powered By Blogger