February 15, 2016

To Err is Human

This has been a humbling, learning, exhaustive week for me on a personal level. Have you ever said or done something in all innocence just to have it turn around and bite you in the butt? Yeah, me too. My tale of woe concerned a job I was doing and social media. Social media, aka, "Facebook" can bite us big time and leave a bruise if we don't watch out. (I have since given up Facebook for the season of Lent.)

Without going into too much detail, thus making matters worse, I inadvertently posted comments on social media resulting in negative reactions by the powers that be. They wasted no time informing me of my mistake. Immediately, I attempted to set things right by removing any/all check-in, comment or picture of offense from the Internet. My superior and friend summoned me to discuss the matter. Going into the meeting, I felt like a little kid called to the principal expecting a reprimand. I realized the certain possibility of being dismissed from my duties. That concern became a reality by the end of our meeting. Gratefully, my colleague tasked with speaking to me, handled it with grace and kindness showing respect toward the situation. Although the job did end prematurely, I left with only my personal regrets and no ill feelings toward those making the decisions. As wind suddenly sucked from a boat's sails, my day lost momentum and I ceased to dwell on much else than what had just happened.

This whole week I have reflected on the lesson learned by such an unfortunate blunder. Determined not to allow this incident to defeat me, I worked to put it out of my mind and move on. When negative thoughts or anxiety crept into my mind, I shook my head and said outloud to myself, "Stop thinking about it. It is over." Getting on after such happenings comes only when one presses on toward a more honorable goal. Thank you, Lord, for teaching me these lessons.

God as my Holy Father, my high priest and arbiter of life's struggles challenged me to give Him the glory in all circumstances. Humans have been the reason for life's messes since Adam met Eve and Eve met the Evil One. Just think of the struggle God has endured with us! 

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14 - New International Version (NIV)

No comments:

Powered By Blogger