August 6, 2012

Awakening to a Do-Over Day


As fall approaches, these almost back-to-school days conjure up desires from deep inside of me to decorate an elementary school classroom, but that’s where it ends.  Although, the smell of freshly opened boxes of Crayola Crayons, newly sharpen yellow pencils and soft pink erasers is like none other, all the accompanying work of preparing for wide-awake, ready to go, children back from summer vacation makes me sigh in relief that it is no longer my full time task. Thankfully, schools of teachers will have their opportunity to turn yet another generation of kids on to reading, writing and arithmetic without my name on the staff roster.

Last week I renewed my substitute teacher papers with my local school district and wrote emails to a few of my principal friends to let them know that I am willing to substitute teach or tutor students. That is just enough school exposure to keep me in the loop and satisfy my longing for teaching children again.

Teachers, children and most of their parents are desperately trying to squeeze every bit of summer out before giving in to school for another year.  The stores have had school displays going up since the start of July.  Those new backpacks, pencils, glue bottles, loose leaf paper and binders is a stark reminder to anyone involved in public education that a new beginning is just around the corner. 

When I taught school, I would start by looking back at how I taught a particular subject the previous year and determine to do a better job this time. Workshops were offered, colorful, crisp wall posters went up and new teaching strategies were employed. I’d enter my classroom pumped up to teach with more enthusiasm and welcome each new student with genuine concern for him or her as a learner. My task to enhance their education was a challenge I accepted each August. Sometimes my toolbox of teaching tricks was merely a remodel of teaching techniques already in place. Other years, it was something entirely fresh learned during a summer workshop, and I could hardly wait to try it out on my students. That was always a goal as school started back after summer break, to do a job better with more student success than last year. I love a do-over, fresh start and new beginning. It is a chance to learn from past mistakes and to get it right this time.  As my 60th birthday is fast upon me, I am concerned that I do not have many more chances to “get it right”.  I may never get it right, but I know I have to keep trying.

What are your new beginnings? Whether you are a teacher trying to guide young minds to higher thinking, a business executive attempting to keep the status quo or a blue-collar worker just trying to put food on the table, don’t give up. Just know that every day you wake up, at the end of every grading period or status report, God has given you a new beginning. Embrace it and be glad you got to have a do-over day.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger