March 21, 2010

Spring Fever and Sick Yard Woes


It's March and time for Spring. So where is it? This past weekend has been cold, windy with enough rain that made Saturday just flat unpleasant to be outdoors.

My backyard is in desperate need of a total make over. I talking the need for heavy machinery and muscle. Both of which I am unfortunately lacking. Browsing through old photos from 2006, I came across a lovely pre-hurricane photo of my backyard. It's so sad that we lost such wonderful large trees and plants that made this a green pretty yard at one time.

Today the two trees in the picture are gone. In fact the one behind the birdbath was dead and I hired a couple of guys last fall to take it down. They didn't have the proper tools (or the know-how) for the huge job. Even though the tree is down, the ugly stump is left and some of plants at its base were smashed. The so-called "tree-men" also didn't have a tool to cut a level slice off the top of the stump and left it a jagged eyesore. In the background, the other tree also had those tuffs of pale green tall "monkey grass" plants. They came up and out with the tree. In its place was a huge hole which we filled in with some sand and topsoil. Weeds have grown over it, the circular area is still slightly sunken in from the hole.

Even though the hurricane messed up the yard by taking out my beautiful trees, our other problems are because we're just not good yard people. The plants along the back fence are overgrown and surrounded with weeds making it overwhelming to even begin the clean up. I need a work crew to come in and clean it out, but it would cost a fortune to have that done. So, its me and my little tools on the job.

When winter finally ends and the sun comes out again, I'll hit the backyard and try to clean it up. It takes me twice as long to work in the yard as most any man or yard crew because I'm short, out of shape and have problems with arthritis. It's just plain hard work that I have a very difficult time doing. What I picture in my mind and what I can actually accomplish are two totally different things.

Maybe before too long, I can get out there and at least get started. I think I'm going to have to buy some new plants. The freeze we had this winter also killed a lot of the vegetation in the back yard. So I'm prepared to just weed, clean out and throw a lot of brown, dead stuff away.
Flowers would be nice too.

Come on Spring! Bring it on, I'm ready!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger