June 22, 2009

Summer:Working as Water:Oil

As my mom used to say, "It's hotter than blue blazes out there." I just bet we could have actually fried an egg on the sidewalk today! Whew! I can't believe Kim worked in the yard on such a hot day. My cats are not even begging to go outside either. Well, okay, Baby thinks she wants outside, but as soon as she got out there, she'd know it wasn't the best decision. Yes, my cats make decisions, don't yours?

Fortunately, I have not had to be out in the heat today. I went to a school and gave tests for the school district. Four first grade children before lunch and only two fifth grade students after lunch. Not a bad gig really. I get paid to give tests to some pretty sweet kids. Those fifth graders worked hard today and finished one test with 9 subtests. It made me tired and all I did was operate the stopwatch and explain the tests. The first graders worked hard too. Their only disappointment was that the test started at 8:00 again tomorrow morning. I'm with them, 8 o'clock is way too early to wake up during summer vacation.

Finding summer work has really been a weighty task for me. When you think about it, I've never had what is considered a real 8:00-3:00, Monday through Friday summer job. I had a few part time jobs, but never full-time and certainly not all summer long. Besides those piddly jobs were back before I started teaching school. Those hardly count! Since I was a career student and teacher, I have enjoyed summer vacations off since I started first grade. That's a long standing habit and not easily changed. So, surely you can see why my will to muster up the energy to work during these dog days of summer is just not there. It's hot! I should be swimming in a pool, going on picnics or to places like Schlitterbahn or a nice beach house. If flip-flops can't be the official footwear for the job, I don't want it. Working in the summer? I don' think so.

Unfortunately, the bad news is that I really need to work. I don't want to, but finances being what they are, its something that has to be done. The testing I'm doing now will only last until Wednesday or Thursday if I stretch it out. After that, its back to beans and rice. Just joking! However, its on the verge of such low-budget meals. The 50-dollar question is, "What?" What can I do to earn money where I don't work long hours, nights, weekends or get bored? "Picky", you say? You are probably right, but I'm no spring chicken anymore and I need my R & R.

Well, I'll keep thinking on it and in the meantime, if you come up with an idea for me a job, please drop me a line on Facebook or leave a comment here. Oh, and it needs to be within the area where I live. I am not willing to relocate, unless its to Paradise where the living is easy and my flip-flops are allowed.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger