November 17, 2008

Fond Thanksgiving Memories

(This picture of my family was taken December, 1977. Jason was 10 months old. Pictured at the back left is Cynthia, my brother's wife who passed away 6 short years ago, her husband & my oldest brother, Johnny, beside him is our brother, Richard, and my husband Kim. Seated left is Mama [Louise Ritchey] gone now for 15 years , I am holding Jason, and my daddy [Elton "Jiggs" Ritchey] gone for 10 years.)

This morning I am reminded of Autumn days many years ago. As Thanksgiving approaches I remember how my mother began days even weeks ahead picking up ingredients on grocery store runs to prepare her scrumptious recipes for our "feast". The day and night before Thanksgiving, she would bake pies, cakes, and prepare cornbread for the cornbread dressing to go with the turkey. My mom was a wonderful cook.

On Thanksgiving morning I'd wake up, go to the kitchen where my mom would have been up for hours cooking. My dad would usually be seated at the kitchen table with his breakfast and coffee listening to the radio or Macy's Thanksgiving Parade would be on TV. If it was cold weather, the small space heater in the corner of the little dining room would be warming the room like toast. Even though mom had been cooking for hours already, she'd ask if I wanted a scrambled egg or oatmeal for breakfast. It may just be my fading memory, but I don't think my parents ever woke up grumpy or at least they didn't show it. Also, I rarely ever heard them argue and really can't recall if I ever did. Mom and Dad were both affectionate and often were seen smooching in the kitchen. We rarely ever saw each other or said good bye without a kiss. I miss that family affection and public display of love.

In those days Thanksgiving was either at our house or my aunt's house. Mostly it was at my parent's house. Either way, my aunts and my mom could cook a feast fit for a king on those Thanksgiving days. The warmth of the oven was equaled only by the warmth of family love as we exchanged stories, jokes and laughter. I felt a genuine happiness and contentment being with my loved ones. We were family and I for one never thought of speaking mean to them. (That's not to say I never said a sarcastic comment to my brother. Sorry, Bro.) These were my relatives and I loved them deeply. I would not come to realize just how deeply I loved them until some of them were gone and our Thanksgiving feasts together were a thing of the past.

As the temperature has turned cooler lately and Thanksgiving approaches I close my eyes and picture those past holidays with my family. Even though my parents have been gone all these years, the love I feel for them remains immense. It's still so hard to believe they have left this earth and tears will often fill my eyes as I miss them so much. I won't get to be with them at Thanksgiving ever again. My family is in my memories which are only filled with love and warm feelings of happy holidays, warm hugs and a very loving family.

(The photo here was made Thanksgiving, 1977 and pictures four generations. Jason at 9 months, Mama Bond, my grandmother [Mama's mother], Mama [Louise] my mom and standing behind her, a much younger version of me.)

3 comments:

Jason said...

I remember looking at those pictures and others like them when I was a kid. Although I haven't seen them in a long time, they are definitely stuck in my mind's eye. I think of them often now as I watch Aidan and Regan growing up.

LT said...

Mary Lou, this is beautiful! Your writing reminded me so much of my own Thanksgivings with my mom and dad. I understand the "never be the same" comments much more than I'd like! I'm thankful for you! Linda

Mary Lou said...

I think that a lot of our generation had Thanksgivings like ours. Thank you for your comment.

Powered By Blogger