February 15, 2008

How Do You Like Retirement?

That seems to be the number 1 question people ask me lately. The next comment I get the most is, "you look so relaxed" or in the case of my email buddies, "you sound so relaxed."

Their observations are correct. I am relaxed and not stressed in the least. I didn't realize while I was teaching how stressed I really was. At the time, being busy all of the time was normal. I don't miss all of that busy time consuming work I put in every day. Granted I'm still pretty busy, but on my own terms. I started working with the school district testing elementary students for the Gifted and Talented Education program. I set up my own schedule and take days off when I want. Even though no one has told me I have to, I feel compelled to check out with the front desk person when leaving campus to pick up lunch at the Sonic across the street. Some habits are hard to die. I get to leave during the day like a real person for lunch. How cool is that?! I am home by 1:00 p.m. most days. When I get home, I score the tests and even get paid for my time spent grading the tests. No sir, not a bit of stress here.

Recently, I started writing a newsletter for our Ladies' Ministry at church. I've only published one so far which I am pleased to say, was well received by the ladies at church. I also continue to write the Baytown Little Theater newsletter and volunteer in the theater box office. I will be in charge of the ticket sales for one of our spring shows. It's been very relaxing to work with the theater since I've retired. I can enjoy the experience of working on a play without the anxiety of the school work piling up because of my involvement. In fact, I'm going to be in play in April with Kim. We just started rehearsals for "Little Shop of Horrors" and its going to be a lot of fun. I haven't been on stage in a long while and I don't have much of a part. Just getting to be around my theater friends and especially Kim, will be make it worth my time.

For the first time in a couple of decades, I can say that I'm happy with what I am doing. Our sons' families live close enough that I can see them and my adorable grandchildren more often. It is such a joy to be able to do that without feeling like I have to rush our visits just to get back home and grade papers or write lesson plans. Now when I babysit with my grandchildren, I don't bring a bookbag full of schoolwork slung over my shoulder. I can play with the kids and just be Mama Lou. I love it!

Don't Worry Be Happy!

1 comment:

LT said...

MaryLou, I've been reading your blog for quite a while and really enjoy your "musings." I feel like I know you better now than I did when we lived in Baytown! Matt will be so jealous :) when I tell him you're doing "Little Shop of Horrors" because he wanted to be a part of that play when he was in BT. I hope you and Kim are doing well! ~Linda T

Powered By Blogger