March 8, 2007

Contagious


I'm not really contagious, but I do have fever. Spring fever may not be a real disease by definition, but my longings to be finished with school for the summer are very real. These are the days when I stare at the chalkboard in my classroom and wish I could just walk out and go home. I leave work as soon as I possibly can every day in a hurry to put on jeans, a t-shirt and let my toes breathe as I kick off my shoes.

This evening I stayed outside cleaning off my patio until it was dark. I like the patio lights at night and the peace of the backyard on a slightly cool, calm evening. In the past on such days, I've taken my laptop outdoors, to post an entry on my blog or catch up on email while sipping a beverage. Taking a meal on the patio either alone or with my husband is a very pleasant way to spend time outside. Watching my cats prowl around the backyard plants returning to me every so often just to check if I'm still there, is just as satisfying. Sometimes I just sit and read. I love the feeling of no "homework".

Okay, I know that it'll get boring around the first part of June. For now, however, this feverish desire to play hookey from school and hang out in my backyard has my mind occupied. How is a person suppose to concentrate on work inside of a square room when nature is beckoning her outdoors? My classroom doesn't even have a window and quite often I don't even realize it has rained until school ends. So you can understand why I'm anxious to get outside on a beautiful spring day.

This may well be the last year to have this fever with no immediate relief. After I retire in May, I hope to have the freedom to stay on my patio as much as I like. Who knows what will happen then? I'm thinking my backyard needs flowers.

2 comments:

Deana Nall said...

Oh, how I miss Lakewood in March. We moved into our house in March 2001, and I could barely drive through the neighborhood because I couldn't take my eyes off all the azaleas in bloom. I miss the evenings, when I could catch glimpses of the sunset on the bay between the houses across the street. And I miss the mornings, when we could hear ships blowing their horns in the distance. I don't blame you for wanting to spend all your time outside. We just moved into a nice neighborhood here, but we'll never live anywhere as beautiful as Lakewood.

Kyle said...

I like that picture. Very artistic.

Powered By Blogger