February 3, 2007

God Created Groundhogs

Groundhog Day, 2007
Somewhat overcast with a chance of rain, and we are told that the groundhog did not see his shadow. According to folklore that means we are in for an early spring.

Our oldest son, Jason, was born on a cool, cloudy Groundhog’s Day very much like today. Thirty years ago Kim and I were 24 years old. We had barely been married 2 years and were new parents. To me, Jason was the live version of baby doll I had practiced mothering during those formative elementary years of childhood. Of course, my dolls never pooped, cried, or expelled large volumes of milk all over me. Moreover, my Tiny Tears Doll never once smiled or cooed at me. She never once lay warmly under my chin on my shoulder in whispers of blissful sleep. Oh! the joy that a newborn baby will bring to a person’s life. Jason was my joy. I could sit for his entire nap holding him on my shoulder unwilling to move him to his crib. He was so sweet, innocent and dependent on me. Me! How could anything so tiny be dependent on me? I was just a kid with no experience. God apparently wanted to put me to the challenge because he blessed us with not only one little boy, but three.

There are times when I really miss the three young brothers that grew up in our house. The noise of laughing, arguing, and rambunctious little boys would now be music to my ears. The “mommy pile ups” that seemed to put me on the floor beneath a mound of little male bodies giggling and squirming in delight as they played are now a distant pleasurable memory. We had great fun together.

Now they are all grown up and Jason has children of his own to play with. I am finding that I still delight in each new stage of their lives even as adult men.

Thank you, God, for Jason, Kyle and Ryan. Our lives have been richer because of those 3 baby boys born to us. What a blessing!
Happy 30th Birthday, Jason.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Thanks mom. I will always think fondly on my childhood and relationship with you and dad. Although we know it wasn't always smooth sailing, I think the conflicts and difficulties helped us all out in the long run.

You and dad were a big help last week while I was in the hospital and after I got home. We are so glad to be back in Texas and so glad to have you guys around.

For anyone wondering, I'm doing better after my surgery last week. I went back to work on Monday, and I was miserable. Things got much better once I got my wheelchair to use while at work, but it's still annoying. I feel blessed because I'm going to be fine, just inconvenienced for a few months. Kari is really the one who could use some prayers, as she has taken on a huge burden caring for me, the kids, and the house on her own, all while commuting to downtown Houston every day. She's a true angel, and I wouldn't be able to do this without her.

Powered By Blogger